This Is It!
For months - you've heard me, other party leadership and the candidates plead with you to get involved and do more to help ensure that we elect like-minded Democrats to office this fall. Fall is officially here. This is truly IT!
Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 6, but actually a majority of individuals vote by mail, and those ballots go out on Wednesday, Oct. 10. So if you haven't been able to canvass, call, write or talk to your neighbors, the time to do so is NOW!!
Regardless of a person's political persuasion, it is easy to point out how votes for Pawlik and Weichert are far better choices than their opponents on any number of issues, from education, healthcare, equal rights and protections, to responsible and transparent government, to supporting Arizona families.
We require all hands-on deck to help ensure that we get people to vote. To that end, we ask you to:
- canvass (walkers and drivers, new and seasoned needed) - to help us outreach to voters, talking with them about the candidates and encouraging them to turn in their ballot or vote in person;
- phone bank and text - providing voters with information about the candidates, their polling sites, etc.; and
- volunteer at the office - organizing packets, answering questions, and providing support to the district and campaigns.
We thank the many individuals who have stepped up to help, some for the very first time. We have to keep that momentum, that involvement, and expand it if we want to be successful this election. Your help, even one day a week, will have an impact on us winning this election. We cannot afford to look back on Nov. 7 and think about what we could have done.
Continue to get updates on how you can get involved from:
- The website you are looking at right now!
- Our Facebook page
- Twitter - @LD17Democrats
- Or stop by our LD 17 Campaign Office:
1450 W Warner Rd., Ste. 124, Gilbert
You can also help us keep the office running and maintain the supplies of brochures and other information necessary for our district. You can donate online here and click on the "Donate" button.
With deep appreciation -
Chair, LD 17 Democrats
Calendar of Events
Meetings begin at 7 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.) The meeting is held at the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 769 Union Hall, 220 N. William Dillard Dr., Gilbert 85233. Next meeting is Oct. 2
Speakers: Roberta Neil Miller, candidate for the Maricopa County Clerk of the Court; Heather Macre, candidate for the CAP Water Board; and our very own LD 17 Dem Candidates - Jennifer Pawlik for AZ House and Steve Weichert for AZ Senate.
Sun Lakes Dems:
Meetings begins at 7 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Sun Lakes Country Club (25601 E. Sun Lakes Blvd. N.), Navajo Room. Next meeting is Oct. 8.
Agenda: The meeting will be an informal get together to plan the final push for the 2018 elections. All voters are invited to attend.
The Sun Lakes Democratic Club collects non-perishable food items for Matthew's Crossing Food Bank. Please bring your tax-deductible contributions to the Drop Off Area in the west parking lot from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Ask for a receipt. The club donated 55 pounds of food and $69 in cash for August. The totals for 2018, so far, are 766 pounds of food and $296 in cash. We appreciate all you do.
Canvassing and Phone Banking
We need you!
Here's the October schedule:
- Monday - Friday: 9am and 4pm
- Saturdays: 9am 1pm
- Sundays: 10am 1pm
We've added Teacher Tuesdays.
The canvasses begin at our office, 1450 W. Warner Road, Ste. 124, Gilbert.
- Democratic Candidate for Secretary of State and Senate Minority Leader Katie Hobbs will be speaking about the importance of the race on Sunday, Oct. 7, 4pm-5:30pm at the home of Rebecca and Doug King in Gilbert. Special guest is Former Gov. Martin O'Malley. Suggested donation is $50 but not required to attend.
For more info or to RSVP, contact
Leo@katiehobbs.org or by phone at 520-241-8449
LD 17 Senate and House of Representatives Debate, held by the Arizona Clean Elections Commission - featuring Steve Weichert for Arizona Senate and Jennifer Pawlik for Arizona House of Representatives - Tuesday, Oct. 9, 6pm at the Chandler Downtown Public Library, 22 S Delaware St., Chandler.
Submit a debate question with LD17 in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Valley NAACP 2018 Freedom Fund Luncheon on Saturday, Oct. 13, 11am at The Falls Event Center, Gilbert. Keynote speaker is Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes. RSVP
Mark Your Calendar
Celebration on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 6 starting at 6:30pm at the IBEW Union Hall, 220 N William Dillard Dr., Gilbert. No monthly meeting, instead we will have a potluck to celebrate our success with LD 17 and supply the drinks. Please see what you can bring by last name:
If your last name begins with the letters A - F - please bring your favorite appetizer
If your last name begins with the letters G - M - please bring your favorite entrée
If your last name begins with the letters N - S - please bring your favorite side dish
If your last name begins with the letters T - Z - please bring your favorite dessert
- On Monday, Nov. 19, at 7pm, the LD 17 Democrats will have its Reorganization Meeting and Election. Any individual who is an elected PC for LD 17 is permitted to vote and run for any of the offices for the District (Chair, 1st Vice Chair, 2nd Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant at Arms, and Young Dem Representative).
- In addition, there will be approximately 25 State Committee Member positions available to represent LD 17 and you must be an elected PC to run. Please plan to attend and if you have questions, please contact Jacob.
Results from recent primaries show how the number of voting Dems in LD17 continues to rise. Closing the gap is bad news for our opponents, good news for our candidates Steve and Jennifer.
At our monthly meeting, Joel Edman from Arizona Advocacy Network reviews the propositions that will be on the ballot.
Thank you to the many volunteers who joined us on a successful joint canvass with Planned Parenthood.